If a sudden slope in your backyard is preventing you from landscaping your garden the way you want, landscaping blocks are probably your best friend. Available as lipped or pinned, landscaping blocks are made from precast concrete.
- However, they look anything but concrete. In fact, they often have textured faces that give them the appearance of stone. Thus, your garden won’t look ugly when using these nifty pieces of modern inventions.
- One of the most widespread uses of landscaping blocks is in building retaining walls. Retaining walls can be used cleverly for landscaping the toughest of gardens or backyards. And there is more than one reason why experts often use landscaping blocks for the purpose.
Benefits of landscaping blocks
- Ease of installation
As the name suggests, they come as precut blocks. Often, you don’t even have to cut the blocks in order to make your retaining wall. Thus, it saves you a lot of time, and eventually, cost too. Although landscaping blocks can be installed on your own, you might want to hire a contractor to do a more thorough job. With the ease of installation, a contractor is able to do the job much more quickly, which eventually makes the project less expensive. If you hire landscaping services, they can install the blocks as per customized requirements, and choose the methods of installation which is most affordable.
- Easy to maintain
Landscaping blocks are super easy to maintain. Before these blocks came in the market, stone was the most common material used for making retainer walls. However, stones are uneven in their structure. Thus, often, they don’t interlock perfectly, which can make them prone to falling off.
- Furthermore, they can’t handle stress very well. Thus, if someone walks on stones, they are likely to break, which can eventually make the structure loose.
- With precut blocks though, none of those difficulties come to the fore. They can easily interlock, and are able to withstand stress much better. Additionally, they can simply be washed with a high-pressure hose, something that is difficult to do with stones.
- The cost factor
With these blocks, you don’t have to use mortar to join together. Thus, you save on your building materials. Moreover, in the long run, they prove to be much more cost effective than traditional materials such as stone.
- The aesthetic factor
With traditional materials such as stones, you often don’t have complete control over how the wall looks. While that may be needed for certain projects, it is definitely not an ideal quality. With landscaping blocks, you have complete control over how the blocks fit together. Thus, you can customize your retainer wall to suit the existing aesthetics of your backyard or garden.
How to find the right landscaping blocks?
It is not too long ago that these nifty blocks first appeared in the market. However, in a short span of time, the market has been flooded with them. The following tips will help you pick the right quality that will stay with you for a long time.
- The cost factor
There is a whole range of these blocks available. As a general rule, the more expensive blocks are, the more they are going to look like natural stone.
- Take measurements of the wall with you
Each block has its own radius, curvature and corners which means they fit differently to form a wall. You need to have the exact requirements of your retainer wall to make sure you pick the right type. Thus, take the height, length, and radius of curves on your wall before you go shopping for landscaping blocks.
For more details about customized options, you can consult with the online portals, to get the best landscaping block designs and also the service professionals who can install these blocks.